WAKISO — A mother who left to fetch water early morning returned home to be greeted by the piercing last wails of four children in her house that was billowing thick smoke.
Annet Naigaga’s two children Eve Namulindwa, 8, and Isan Kibuuka, 6, perished in the early morning fire alongside her grandchildren Noreen Nansubuga, 3, and one only identified as Cynthia.
Police said they are investigating the circumstances under which the children died in the Thursday morning incident at Kawuku cell in Kira Municipality, Wakiso District.
In a statement, Kampala Metropolitan deputy publicist Luke Owoyesigyire said Ms Naigaga, a local businesswoman dealing in roasted maize and yellow bananas, had left the children inside her two-bedroom house with their elder sister Catherine Nakkasi.
But Nakkasi, 12, was preparing to go to school.
“Upon returning home from the well, she saw a lot of smoke coming from the house. The four children were crying for help inside the house and the door was closed, she made an alarm and attempted to enter and rescue the children, but the fire was too much,” ASP Owoyesigyire said.
“The Police at Kira Division have opened up inquiries into the incident and preliminary investigations indicate that there was a fueled motorcycle inside the house, hence the big fire.”
Police are also investigating the possibility that Nakkasi had left a burning candle in the house before she left for school.
The four bodies have been conveyed to the city mortuary Mulago for postmortem.